Monday, November 29, 2010

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

For my photo essay I chose environmentally friendly eating. I kept track of all the things I ate this past week and my results were so so. While I was keeping track of my meals I noticed I tended to eat more foods that were less environmentally friendly when I was eating at school or when I was at work. While at school I drank more beverages from bottles because they were the most convenient. (Don't worry, no bottled water!) While at work I ate more fast food mostly because I either forgot to pack a lunch for the day or simply forgot.


Before school I tended to eat more quick things like cheerios, yogurt, and toast. I recycled the containers from the yogurt, and the boxes from the cheerios so I tried to be as environmentally friendly as possible when eating packaged foods. 


For some of my lunch meals, at work and at school, included some fast food items such as Domino's marinara pasta bowls, ( they are soo delicious!)  taco johns, and a cheeseburger and fries from the burger hub. Most reasons I was eating this foods is simply because of convenience. I only eat at school Monday's on my long days and with all my books and computer I already drag along its really discouraging to also bring along a packed lunchbox. Looking back I want to start eating more salads or soups on my long Monday's. 



However, while I was at home for lunch or had more time I chose my healthier, environmentally friendly choices. Such as leftover ham from thanksgiving, fresh salads, and vegetables. I made sandwiches out of the ham we had left over, so even though eating meat still isn't as good for the environment I made sure we were not wasting it by eating the leftovers.



For some of my dinner meals I had spaghetti, beef stew, vegetables, macaroni and cheese, and of course for thanksgiving ham. I noticed many of my meals included meat which I was a little disappointed because I never really paid attention to how much meat I consume. I would like to reduce this in the future because its not very environmentally friendly. However, I did consume quit a bit of vegetables, mostly due to my SMART goal, but this made my meals a little more friendly for the environment.

Overall, by keeping track of my diet I realized I really need to start watching what I'm eating. I need to start setting aside time to pack lunches for work or even pack them the night before because that's where I seem to do most of my unhealthy eating. Many other people order lunches while were there so its usually the most convenient. Also, my SMART goal has really been helping me to increase my vegetable intake so I hope to keep up with that.


6 comments:

  1. Good job on making leftovers useful. I made sure to take some Thanksgiving leftovers home with me as well. The hardest thing to deal with is the convenience issue. We tend to do what's most convenient for us and that ends up being the least environmentally healthy. The best thing to do is plan ahead early, make a healthy meal the night before and so all you have to do is take it out of the fridge and warm it up if needed. I noticed everything in the food court is overpriced and not a healthy alternative either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with ordering food at work because I forget to pack a lunch. It's easily preventable, but sometimes I am just too lazy to change my ways. It's good though to sometimes make EXTRA food when you make meals because its easy to just throw together a quick to-go meal, and reduce your waste and consumption from other places

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time with food! I eat a lot of meat too in diet when I'm away from home but I try to eat as much veggies as I can when I can. It seems like you eat a lot of meat but your portions are very small. That's good! You also choose a very good SMART goal to balance your diet out too! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me really hungry, haha! That's great that you are really analyzing your eating patterns and are becoming aware of what you consume too much of and too little of. Being aware of a situation is key because once you become aware of something you tend to be more conscientious about it and from there a behavior change may be made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom was going to send leftovers home with me, and I completely forgot to take them! It's great you took some so that food isn't wasted. I also forget to pack lunches for school sometimes, or usually don't have time. Have you ever tried packing your lunch the night before? That might help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE leftovers! I always end up having left overs and it's nice because it's a quick me for the next day! Packing a lunch is really tedious and annoying to do but it can be really quick to just make a sandwich and grab a fruit. I do it every morning before work while I'm waiting for my breakfast to be made! You could try that!

    ReplyDelete