Friday, December 3, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 9-12

Over weeks 9-12 I have learned quite a few valuable things. I found doing the THOMAS search and looking at bills for my healthy people goal was very interesting. I'm really interested in seeing the progress of improving the air quality because I think its such an important issue that affects us all. Many other people in my web group had similar goals so it showed the extent of this problem among many of us. Also starting our SMART goals has been very beneficial to me over the last few weeks. I have been able to increase my green vegetable intake by quite a significant amount and actually enjoy doing so.

Watching the video "Unnatural Causes" really made me think about how many people have insufficient healthcare. It was really upsetting to see the problems that many people face everyday. The woman who couldn't even get a job because if she did she would lose her benefits. That seems totally wrong to me, and just goes to show how much we need to reconstruct our system. We need to start creating more awareness and advocate to others so we can make a change. Many of the healthy wealthier people are the ones benefiting from healthcare not the ones who truly need it.

I enjoyed doing the photo essay, it helped me to look at my diet and SMART goal as a whole. I did my essay on what I ate the past week and how environmentally friendly some of these things were. It made me really see that I am increasing the amount of vegetables I'm eating but I'm not reducing the amount of bad fast foods that I eat when I'm in a hurry.

Overall the past few weeks have been very beneficial and knowledgeable. I feel as though doing some of these activities has really helped me not only in the classroom but also in my life outside of class.

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about advocating, it should be intriguing to see the results of everyone's project! The photo project was a fun project! Do you know what you're doing for your junking project yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the same feeling when watching the "Unnatural Causes" video. I think that it is really sad that people do not find jobs because they would be LOSING money or benefits. It really makes us think and wonder how we can make our system better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did notice that a lot of people in our groups are doing their advocacy on air quality for all. It has become a hot topic among us. The movie, "Unnatural Causes", really does show us that the system does need to be reconstructed in a better way where everyone is getting the right benefit. People cannot only rely on money from the government that won't even cover the whole needs of a family. Advocacy and awareness is needed to put an end to poverty, homeless, and more green jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to hear that by creating your SMART goal, you were able to improve your own eating habits, and then actually document it through one of our assignments! It really seems like your goal was well-chosen and has been incorporated into your daily lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that we can take a class that isn't just about turning things in on time and memorizing things for tests, this class is actually changing our lifestyles whether it's conscious or not. I find it to be really beneficial and people from other majors should take this course to get some insight as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I think that the THOMAS website and Advocacy project has really taught me a lot about my topic as well. It has also taught me a lot about politics as well. I think this is something that everyone should learn about sometime in their lifes because even if it doesn't interest them they at least know where to find this knowledge!

    ReplyDelete