Monday, November 15, 2010

Advocacy Project:: Healthy People/THOMAS

  1. I chose goal 8-2: Increase use of alternative modes of transportation to reduce motor vehicle emissions and improve the Nation’s air quality. The target for this goal was to be consistent with the goal of the National Bicycling and Walking Study, U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The progress of this was that 8-2a. . bicycling moved 11% away from its target, 8-2b. walking moved 59% towards its target and8-2c.. transit moved 11% away from its target. 8-2d.  people who telecommute, did not have any information regarding progress.
  2. The progress of this goal seems to be for the most part on track besides telecommuting. Tracking data was available for alternative modes of transportation but none was available for telecommuting. Disparities with this goal is the fact there there is no shown progress for 8-2d. about telecommuting. However, new data sources have been identified and baselines established for sub-objective 8-2d and is expecting to assess progress by the end of the decade. Opportunities include the overall strategy to improve air quality includes a combination of regulatory, market-based, and voluntary programs that target emissions from whole industries or source categories, such as power plants and motorized vehicles. EPA programs address three key air pollutants, including nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and mercury. Two emerging issues for this goal are first, annual weather may vary considerably so an annual summary statistic may not accurately account for short-term extreme weather, such as hurricanes or heat waves. Second, not all counties have monitoring stations; therefore, data may not be available for some populations
  3. S575IS: Clean, Low-Emission, Affordable, New Transportation Efficiency Act (Introduced in Senate - IS)
    1. Title: Low Greenhouse Gas Transportation Fund
    2. Sponsor: Thomas Carper (Democrat)
    3. Latest Major Action: Mar 11, 2009: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.
    4. My recommendation is to vote Y for S575IS. Clean, Low-Emission, Affordable, New Transportation Efficiency Act. 
    5. My political Representative: Congressman Dave Obey.

7 comments:

  1. I chose the same objective, because I find it to be a very important issue that needs to improve in our environment. I'm surprised that with all of the city transit systems (like our DTA bus system) available out there, there has been no increase towards the target goal. Something obviously needs to be changed, and i think it's important for people to vote YES for this goal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this a very important goal to work towards. I think it also ties into the objective that I choose. My objective is to promote alternative sources of transportation which would lead to better air quality by taking cars off the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is interesting. It is very important to find other alternatives to save air quality. In Minnesota, I can see that there can be challenges because of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the same objective I'm doing as well! It seems to me that alternative transportation is a simple step individuals could do to help reduce gas emissions, as well as the fact that the individuals become more active and healthy! I have to agree with Mary that weather changes could be an obstacle, however, I take the bus in the winter to school and I almost enjoy it more than driving. By taking the bus I don't have to warm-up my car and scrap the windows, with the bus I can easily walk down a block, enjoy being outside for 5 or so minutes and get onto a nice and warm bus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to see how many people in our group choice the same objective but found different bills! It will be interesting to hear about all the different aspects of this objective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a great goal, but I noticed that bicycling and transit are both moving away from the target goal, why do you think that is? I think it's important for people to vote yes for the bill, it's our environment we are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My objective was finding alternative fuels. If we could somehow achieve your objective and mine, the environment would be a lot cleaner! I think reducing the amount of waste going into the air is SO important. We all have to breathe it, why not take care of it?

    ReplyDelete