Monday, October 4, 2010

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint

In doing the earth day quiz about how many planets it would take to support my lifestyle. I found it would take 6.5 planets. My reaction to this way wow. I never even realized even the little things I do and use have such a big impact on the earth. Just from eating meat 1-2 times a week can kills so many animals, and buying foods that aren't locally grown. In order to adjust my lifestyle to help and reduce my footprint I could eat foods more locally grown, try to cut down on meat products that will kill animals,use less electricity by shutting off lights when I'm not using them. I could also shut off water when when brushing my teeth and cutting down shower time. If everyone on earth did this we could extend the life of our planet and the resources we need to live.

7 comments:

  1. I kind of had a similar reaction to you after I took the quiz. I did not expect my number to be so high up. I decided that I should try and eat more locally grown foods as well and maybe try and carpool more often or even take the bus as an even better alternative. I liked your post though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the same quiz and my result was almost as high as yours. I am trying to take the bus to school this year and so far it is going well but I think the real test is when it gets really cold out. Hopefully I will still take the bus and not use the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to remember to shut off lights too. It is a TERRIBLE habit that I have. I agree with you that our planet would be way better of if we all were just a little more conscious about how we live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also very surprised by the whole meat factor. I did not know that eating meat would greatly affect the environment as much as it does. I guess I'm going to have to learn to cut some of that out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading in a book last year that most of electricity (I believe it was something close to 70%) is actually 'wasted' on 'unused' electricity as in appliances and whatnot that are still plugged in but not being used. So a great way to save energy would not only be to turn off lights, but to unplug any appliances and accessories that do not need to be plugged in 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the same quiz that you did. It really was an eye-opener for me as well. I did not use quite as many planets as you, but it still make me realize a lot of things that I should be more aware of and other things I should try and cut back on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took the same quiz and I was very surprised as well. I couldn't believe how much of and impact eating meat had on our earth. I am also trying to eat more locally grown food.

    ReplyDelete