Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Share and Voice: New Aurora Pictures: Sky Shows Sparked by Sun Eruption


According to a story on the National Geographic website, this aurora borealis touched down in Sommarøya in Norway on September 8, 2010. These beautiful scenes are caused by explosive flares originating from a giant group of sunspots. According to the post "The flares send a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) racing toward Earth at 250 miles per second. When the particles smacked Earth's magnetic field on the eighth, auroral sparks flew."

I chose this news story because I think aurora borealis' are such a beautiful part of our environment.

7 comments:

  1. Those pictures are so beautiful!! I wish I would have been in Norway that time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It would be just amazing to see this so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are GORGEOUS! Too bad it wasn't something we could see first hand that would have been awesome! Love that you found such a cool piece of information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are some cool pictures. It's amazing what mother nature can do. It would have been awesome to be there to see them with your own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I'm sure the sky would be amazing to see in person. Just curious, do they know how/why the explosive flares occur?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the pictures that you have to go along with this post! They are very interesting and eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO PRETTY!! Had I found this article, I would have thought it was interesting too. I have always said I want to see them first hand!

    ReplyDelete