Thursday, November 4, 2010

Share & Voice : Tapped: Taking Action!


After watching the video in class Monday I really wanted to look into what else I could do to help fix this problem. Its hard because were each only one person but if we can get awareness out we can really make a difference. So, I went to the "Tapped" Website, here they have a tab "Take Action." Here they have ideas of how to help. Some include: Buying a reusable bottle, they recommend most is the "klean kanteen. It was one of the very first companies to put BPA free stainless steel bottles out on the market before it was "cool" to do so. Its a family owned corporation and donates 1% of its profits to non-profit organizations, mainly environmental causes. Also, write to your elected officials, buy a water filter, shorten your shower by a few minutes and save 150 gallons of water each month, and many many more. I encourage everyone to take a look at this site.

5 comments:

  1. The reusable water bottle is a great idea. My dad and I have been trying for the past year to get my mom to use one so she will stop buying plastic water bottles in bulk. It would help the environment and save a lot more money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good idea and a very good cause. The "tapped" documentary was extremely eye-opening and really made me want to take action but sometimes it seems like the problem is almost insurmountable. This is a reminder that little things like taking a shorter shower and using reusable water bottles can make a big difference. Now as health educators we just need to spread the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that you wanted to take initiative right away! I know that it is often said that if you apply right after you learn something it will stick with you more and you are more likely to adapt that knowledge or skill. So way to go! When the website mentioned about writing to our elected officials, did they point out any specific topic to write about? Does anyone think this is something we, as individuals or as a class, could do? I'm going to ask Dr. V about this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently bought a new Nalgene that is BPA free. Before, I had a plastic reusable water bottle, but most likely contained a lot of chemicals that I'll never know of. I wish that everyone would invest in a BPA free water bottle... it's just as convenient as plastic disposable ones, and just more friendly for our environment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a reusable bottle this summer, because I thought it would be a lot cheaper for me than to buy reusable ones all the tie. During the movie I checked the bottom, and it said BPA free! I was so excited, because I was not expecting that at all. It makes me hope that companies are really looking into the issue to make everyone's health better.

    ReplyDelete