Sunday, October 24, 2010

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group


 For the cosmetic safety review eye opener I chose to use my shampoo (TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac) as the cosmetic product. The results I got from this were kind of scary. It said that ingredients in this product have been linked to cancer, allergies/immunotoxicity, and developmental/reproductive toxicity. This really makes me think if I should be using this product. I continued to scroll down to read some more of the details and I saw that some of the things it was linked to, such as cancer, had little evidence. So it makes me think if one person out of 1,000 got cancer and just happened to use this shampoo is that what they're using in this study? Also, much of the evidence was at high doses, although it doesn't specify what they consider a high dose, I don't believe washing my hair once a day qualifies as a high dose. Yes, I need to probably look for a shampoo that doesn't have such high ratings but I also think more studies need to be done to better prove the evidence.

6 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about seeing your results. My product had some of the same unhealthy links to it that you have. Do you plan to continue using this product or are you considering other products to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My product did not lead to cancer, but that is a very scary thing! It's hard to justify using these products now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My product also was linked to cancer. I did not know that you could see how much evidence there was! I should look at my product again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I use this shampoo too so it was interesting to read your post. My facewash was also linked to cancer so I will try to find a new product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was interesting, kind of scary to think that the shampoo we use may lead to cancer, wow! I use this shampoo sometimes too...so this is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is scary to think that things that are for hygiene and suppose to clean us are actually harming us.

    ReplyDelete